Building an online community for oncologists
The purpose of s-Phase was to make it easier for an oncologist to do their work through an online information and support community.
- Design sprint
- Product design + development
- Solution Architecture
- Website design
Conisus approached our team with a vision for a new type of doctor’s network – one that would support oncologists and hematologists at every stage of experience throughout their careers.
For purposes of practice and confidentiality, the physician network would be closed to the layperson (and the influence of the pharmaceutical industry) – and would foster camaraderie and trust among practicing medical professionals. The network would focus solely on the needs of the oncologist and take into account a continually changing knowledge-base and the unique challenges that physicians face.
With this vision, we set out to create s-Phase, a new type of physician network.
What we did
- Digital strategy
- Marketing strategy
- Social network design
- Solution architecture
- Website design
We designed and developed an invitation-only social network for oncologists and hematologists.
The s-Phase team provided us with background of the marketspace, and we brought expertise in design and social network development.
Focusing on a secure oncology forum that expands on features used in content networks like Digg and StackOverflow, we outlined a digital strategy and proceeded with a series of wireframes to build the online community. Within only a few months, we completed a fully functional network prototype.
sample outline of the user journey for an oncologist:
Join the network
- Visit the s-Phase website, read about the application, its network benefits, and goals.
- Create a verified s-Phase profile through a request invitation link, or a referral from an existing member.
- Complete profile details, including photo, industry specialization, company details, & contact information.
Visit the Q&A forum to read peer questions
- Share your answer to an open question and attach a reference article.
- Browse Q&A discussions chronologically, through search, or filter by keyword/tags and category.
- Vote up Q&A content that you find particularly useful.
- Post a question about a salient topic in your practice, or about your industry; view responses from others.
Improve the quality of the network
- Peruse the user directory to find contact details for a user that answered your question. Make a direct connection.
- Be recognized and earn badges for your contribution to the network.
- Read the periodic newsletter from s-Phase, and contribute to articles and questions listed in the email.
- Invite colleagues who you think will benefit from the community.
HTML5 / CSS3
Our frontend team created new, customized layout site pages. A new navigation treatment was introduced to make the site easier to navigate.
Ruby on Rails
We created custom web and application layouts, as well as a CMS for managing content on the corporate site.
By the numbers
From strategy and concept, through design and development, our team built the network app in 8 months
The product launch was divided into three phases: Strategy & Design, App Development, Testing & Launch.
For the new oncology network concept, our team delivered a digital strategy, then followed through with the necessary assets to launch the online community:
- A range of wireframes and design concepts, reviewed through final selection of layouts & visual design
- HTML and CSS for all application layouts
- Complete social network buildout
- Supporting marketing and digital strategy
At the end of the project, the Conisus team was pleased to bring the functional prototype of the online community to its board for testing with prospective oncologists and vetting with its legal team. The soft launch for the s-Phase community started the following year.
Ready for a new digital health app?
next case study
digital transformation, financial